In 2002, three volunteers from Holland worked with children in Quito and realized there was little support available for young single mothers in the city. For this reason, they decided to unite their efforts and opened their own project
In 2005, thanks to generous donations made by visitors from Holland and other countries, the foundation was able to buy a house south of Quito in which to hold the daycare. The center serves children in a low-income neighborhood to better educate them at a young age and to foster healthy childhood development.
Today, there are nearly 90 children between the ages of 1 and 4 coming to the center in the morning. Thirty children between the ages of 6 and 11, who attend different elementary schools within the area, come to the center after school where they receive help with their homework and participate in various fun activities until their parents are able to pick them up.
Requirements for the volunteers:
- At least 18 years old; both genders are welcome
- Basic Spanish
- Length of stay 1 to 12 weeks
- Work from Monday to Friday; morning shift 8:00 am to 12:30 pm, afternoon shift 1:30 pm to 5:00 pm
- Assisting the local teacher taking care of children from 1 to 4 years old
- Helping serve and feed the children during meals
- Organizing group activities such as games and songs in English and Spanish
- Supervising homework for the older children (afternoon shift only)
- Providing English lessons to school age children in the afternoon
- Assisting the coordinator of the centre in the weekly visits to children´s homes
Note: Suggestions for new activities from volunteers are always welcome
For more information on this project, please CONTACT US